SEX ON THE WRONG BRAIN
THEORY AND SCIENCE
- degree of left brain dominance, use of right brain
- early sexual experience (establishing neural patterns)
- sexual repression/freedom
- levels of titillation (eg. sex in advertising, access to pornography)
- access to privacy and leisure time (often increases with affluence)
- heredity, genetic susceptibility (explained later)
- socially enforced neural patterns and associations used to foster sowb-based value structures
- Preference for closure and certainty over facts and truth.
- High capacity for lying, denial, hypocrisy.
- Hypersensitivity to criticism.
- Fear of individuality, diversity, ambiguity, imagination, and creativity.
- Relative value systems that threaten certainty represent a constant source of frustration and fear.
- Obsessive need for order and control.
- Preference for known but painful pasts over change and exploration of new and uncertain futures.
- Attraction to leaders and binary value structures that offer opportunity to judge with certainty and closure.
- Preference for snap decisions with no thought for consequences.
- Rigid left brain intelligence that favors memory of detail is valued over creativity, imagination, objectivity, and wisdom.
Re problem solving: "the right hemisphere presents an array of possible solutions, which remain alive while alternatives are explored. The left hemisphere, by contrast, takes the single solution that seems best to fit what it already knows and latches onto it. V.S. Ramachandran's studies of anosognosia reveal a tendency for the left hemisphere to deny discrepancies that do not fit its already generated schema of things." p41 "The left hemisphere is the equivalent of the sort of person who, when asked for directions, prefers to make something up rather than admit to not knowing." p81 "not only does (what we now know to be) the left hemisphere tend to insist on its theory at the expense of getting things wrong, but it will later cheerfully insist that it got it right." p82
When the brain analyzes and solves problems it's not supposed to crave satisfaction. It’s supposed to be logical and objective when it measures and compares and patient and fair when it judges its options.
Sex energy adds frustration and urgency to those brain functions and satisfaction comes from being certain. The feeling of closure and finality it brings may become more satisfying than the truth.
The inability to avoid general or particular uncertainties, such as unexplainable and uncontrollable aspects of nature, may create insecurity, stress, and fear. In order to avoid sources of uncertainty the left brain becomes more and more selective, limiting information and options and undermining objectivity. Input from the creative right brain is reduced, limiting the curiosity, intelligence, and wisdom of the whole brain.
Humans have developed belief systems to create certainty as well as control and reduce uncertainty. They are used to simplify the complex and bring order to chaos. Binary value structures are used to apply certainty to uncertain and chaotic aspects of life. They strive to provide order, control, and a predictable framework in which to find certainty. They offer opportunities for conformity and subjective correctness and a ready supply of reassuring answers. Being part of a larger group that can constantly judge the world with certitude in absolute terms of good/evil, black/white, winner/loser, and yes/no can be deeply comforting for those with a lot of sowb.
To protect the dominant value structures and the artificial certainty they provide anything that doesn’t fit or can’t be controlled may be attacked or ignored. Extreme levels of denial, hypocrisy, and injustice are possible.
More research is needed. You might be able to reroute unwanted established channels by switching hands. Use your right brain more, even in what are considered to be left brained only activities. Get creative.
Some ancient disciplines such as tantric yoga can be used to control sexual energy and specialists in those fields may be more help than the traditionally trained western professionals. Deep relaxation might help open connections between left brain and right brain and reduce some symptoms.
If the left brain is using large proportions of the available sex energy an isolated right brain may have difficulty getting and storing the amounts needed for sex drive and orgasm. People suffering sex on the wrong brain may routinely and unknowingly use brain switching mechanisms to transfer sex energy to the right brain when needed.
One common type of switching mechanism involves entering or creating a stressful or emotional situation to stimulate the underused right brain. Switching mechanisms vary widely and may involve irrational, risky, or bizarre behavior, ceremonies and rituals, pain, fear, and hate and may have very little obvious connection with sex. They can be used to transfer energy all at once for an immediate rush of satisfaction, or more gradually in smaller amounts. Long-lasting irrational hatred, for example, may be quite satisfying for sex on the wrong brain. Some left brain dominant people can become dependent on switching mechanisms and use them regularly during the day. A variety of chemicals may also used for switching.
Sex and violence. Combining sex and imagined, threatened, or actual physical violence with willing or unwilling partners may be a common way to trigger the emotions necessary to transfer sex energy to the right brain for pleasure. Satisfaction may be proportional to the intensity of the emotions created and the amount of sex energy transfered.